Red tide na rin ang Palawan! BFAR raises alert in Puerto Princesa
Even Palawan is now under threat from red tide, the Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources said.
The BFAR’s Jan. 30 update said Puerto Princesa Bay in Puerto Princesa City is now positive for red tide toxin.
It also said the other areas that are positive for the toxin include:
– Western Samar: Daram Island, Irong-Irong, Cambatutay, Maqueda, Villareal Bays
– Eastern Samar: Matarinao Bay
– Leyte: coastal waters of Leyte, Carigara Bay
– Biliran: coastal waters of Biliran
– Iloilo: Gigantes Islands in Carles
– Bohol: Dauis and Tagbilaran City
– Davao Oriental: Balite Bay
The BFAR reiterated all types of shellfish and “alamang” from the affected areas “are not safe for human consumption.”
It also reminded residents not to harvest, eat, buy or sell such shellfish from the areas.
But fish, squids, shrimps and crabs are safe provided they are fresh and washed thoroughly. Internal organs like gills and intestines should be removed before eating, it said.