visayas.politics.com.ph

PNP to look into Cebu mayor’s link to ‘narco-cops’

0 580

CEBU CITY — The Police Regional Office (PRO-7) on Thursday said it
will probe the alleged links between a local chief executive here to
policemen whose names appeared in a drug watch list.

Brig. Gen. Debold Sinas, PRO-7 (Central Visayas) regional director,
said his office will dig deeper into the actuations of Mayor Tomas
Osmeña who is said to have always been reacting to killings involving
policemen with alleged sketchy background, an act which he described
as “fishy”.

On Tuesday, the regional police chief reacted to the mayor’s Facebook
post stating that “the father of the girl who made this post about
being harassed by policemen was murdered today.”

The mayor was referring to Capt. Delfin Bontuyan, former chief
investigator of the Criminal Investigation and Detection Group
(CIDG-7), who was killed by four unidentified men while driving his
motorcycle along St. John Paul II Ave. in Barangay Mabolo this city.

Christine Bontuyan, the incumbent Sangguniang Kabataan (SK)
chairperson of Talamban village, posted on her social media page
alleging that masked policemen harassed her while manning the voter’s
assistance center of the Bando Osmeña Pundok Kauswagan (BOPK), local
party of the mayor, last May 13 elections.

Sinas said the police will look into the reasons why the mayor keeps
on commenting about the incidents involving policemen investigated for
allegedly having links to drugs.

“Kami maghimo na sad mi (We will make our own) assessment… the said
person was reported to be involved in drugs,” he said, stressing that
“if the mayor concluded, puede ba sad namo ma-conclude na siya pud”
(can we also conclude that he’s) protecting those policemen with drug
links?

If the mayor “concluded without premise” that policemen were behind
the killing of Bontuyan, “can we also conclude without premise about
his links?” he asked.

He said the mayor has been claiming he personally visited these
policemen who have been killed and that he has been visiting their
graves despite their alleged involvement to illegal drugs in Cebu.

The regional director of the PRO-7 said if the mayor cares for all
members of the police force in Cebu, he would not only dare to see
Bontuyan and SPO2 Adonis Dumpit.

Osmeña was seen on TV footage and social media post checking the scene
where Bontuyan was killed last Tuesday.

Sinas said the mayor also visited the wake of Dumpit, his close-in
bodyguard killed in an anti-drug operation of the National Bureau of
Investigation (NBI) in Tagbilaran City June last year. He also claimed
to have shouldered the expenses for Dumpit’s burial.

Osmeña reportedly bailed out Dumpit from Abuyog Penal Colony in Leyte
and flew him back to Cebu shortly after he won again as mayor in 2016.
Dumpit who was freed under bail was convicted for killing a robbery
suspect and was sentenced to life imprisonment.

In 2017, the mayor named Dumpit as “caretaker” of Ermita, the
drug-infested market village here after its barangay chairman,
Felicisimo Rupinta, was suspended by the Ombudsman for his alleged
failure to assist the Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency (PDEA) in its
anti-drug operations in the barangay.

For his part, Osmeña said the police should not divert the fact that
Bontuyan’s daughter was harassed by policemen days before he was
killed after attending a court hearing on a drug case where the police
captain stood as complainant.

Lt. Col. Hector Amancia, chief of the CIDG-7, said his office may
assist probers in solving the murder of their former colleague.

Amancia, however, said they are waiting for Sinas’ directive on the
matter. (PNA)