PNP on alert over spread of cocaine in Boracay
The Police Regional Office (PRO) 6 (Western Visayas) has assured that it will do its best to stop the proliferation of cocaine in the region.
This, after the Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency (PDEA) and Malay Municipal Police Station arrested a 36-year-old freelance disc jockey following a drug buy-bust operation on Boracay Island at 1 a.m. on Monday.
Maj. Jose Mark Anthony Gesulga, Malay Municipal Police Station chief, identified the suspect as Reuben Mendoza of Sitio Sinagpa, Barangay Balabag, Boracay Island.
Recovered from Mendoza were three sachets of suspected cocaine, three sachets of suspected shabu, weighting scale, mobile phone, and P1,100 buy bust money.
Gesulga said they have received information that foreign nationals had been going in and out of Mendoza’s rented room in Sitio Sinagpa, Barangay Balabag where the items were gathered.
He said Mendoza admitted to owning the drugs.
In an interview on Monday, Brig. Gen. John Bulalacao, PRO 6 regional director, said the police force will not allow cocaine to spread in the region.
“We are trying our best to address this issue. We do not want that cocaine will also proliferate like shabu in Western Visayas,” he said.
He said Mendoza’s arrest and the latest confiscation indicates the possibility of a new drug group being involved in the operation of bringing cocaine in the region.
“Although we have no monitoring so far,” he said.
He also looked at the possibility that syndicates might have resorted in transporting cocaine because shabu importations were being confiscated by the Bureau of Customs with the help of PDEA. (PNA)