More WV barangays now drug-free as per PDEA
At least 349 more barangays in Western Visayas have been declared drug-cleared, the Regional Oversight Committee (ROC) of the Barangay Drug Clearing Program (BDCP) said.
The Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency 6 announced this during the 15th ROC deliberation last July 4 at the Punta Villa Resort in Iloilo City.
PDEA-6 officer-in-charge Alex Tablate said 195 of the 349 barangays were affected while 154 are unaffected (https://dailyguardian.com.ph/349-more-wv-barangays-declared-drug-cleared/).
He said even barangays which are considered as unaffected should still pass through the validation process, and must submit documentary requirements for certification.
Those declared drug-cleared included:
* Aklan: 9 barangays in Altavas; Banga, 5; Makato, 3; Malinao, 13; and New Washington, 4.
* Antique: Hamtic with 4 drug-cleared barangays, Patnongon, 2; Sibalom, 1; and Tibiao, 7.
* Capiz: six barangays in Cuartero declared drug-cleared; Dumarao, 8; Jamindan, 4; Maayon, 17; Mambusao, 15; Pontevedra, 6; Pres. Roxas, 4; Roxas City, 5; Sapian, 3; and Sigma, 10.
* Guimaras: five barangays drug-cleared; 3 in Buenavista; 2 in Jordan.
* Iloilo province: Ajuy, 6; Banate, 8; Carles, 15; Guimbal, 23; Igbaras, 2; Lambunao, 53; Oton, 5; San Joaquin, 57; Tigbauan, 20; and Zarraga, 5.
* Negros Occidental: Bago City with 2 barangays; EB Magalona, 2; Hinoba-an, 5; Manapla, 2; Pontevedra, 3; Sagay, 4; Silay, 1; and Victorias City, 2.
Affected barangays have to go through the pre-operation, operation, and post-operation phases, while unaffected villages could skip the operation phase.
The PDEA said the latest declaration brought the number certified drug-cleared barangays in Western Visayas to 2,468.
Once a barangay is considered certified drug-cleared, a certificate signed by the chief of police, mayor, and PDEA regional director is issued.
Tablate said the certification of more than half of the 4,051 Western Visayas barangays only showed the efficiency of the drug-clearing operations.
Last March 20, the ROC declared 393 barangays as drug cleared. Before that, 283 barangays were also declared drug-cleared on Jan. 31.
Tablate stressed the importance of drug clearing in the government’s campaign against illegal drugs.