Kay nagbaha! Lacson seeks review of quarry permits
Following the massive flooding in Negros Occidental, Governor Eugenio Jose Lacson said he will review the permits granted to all quarry operators in the province.
The assessment will be in coordination with all concerned local government units to determine if quarrying contributed to the floods on New Year’s Day and Friday last week, according to Lacson.
The floods, which reached neck-high in some barangays, forced the evacuations for thousands of residents from the 3rd District all the way up to Escalante City in the 1st District. (https://bit.ly/35u5pYU)
With the construction boom in Negros Occidental and in Bacolod City, Lacson observed an increase in the number of sand and gravel quarry operations.
Lacson said he can see the construction of more hotels, condominiums and public works.
“Because many areas are now made of concrete and impermeable materials, there is limited ground for water to seep in when there is a heavy rain. There should be no conflict between economic growth and the protection of the environment,” he added.