visayas.politics.com.ph

Iloilo scraps plan to declare province-wide state of calamity

0 681

The provincial government of Iloilo will no longer declare a province-wide state of calamity. Governor Arthur Defensor Jr. previously said a province-wide state of calamity could be declared.

Not all the 42 towns and component city of Passi were devastated by typhoon “Ursula,” which struck northern Iloilo on December 25, according to Provincial Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office (PDRRMO) chief Jerry Bionat.

Bionat said they would ask the Sangguniang Panlalawigan to put under a state of calamity only those areas which incurred over 30 percent damage in agriculture.

A declaration of a state of calamity would allow the provincial government to use five percent of its calamity fund. (https://bit.ly/2QrJgmG)

Meanwhile, the typhoon’s damage to Iloilo’s infrastructures was initially estimated at P274 million based on the consolidated reports of four northern municipalities, namely Batad (35 million), Balasan (125 million), Estancia (25 million), and San Dionisio (86 million).

As to damaged houses, Bionat said the PDRRMO recorded 9,023 totally damaged and 33,208 partially damaged as of January 4.

The Provinces of Aklan and Capiz already declared a state of calamity. In Iloilo, the towns of Balasan, Carles, Batad, and Concepcion were placed under a state of calamity.

Comments
Loading...