Huli din mga bugaw! Malay police rescue 33 women in Bora anti-prosti drive
At least six suspected pimps were arrested while 33 women were rescued in an anti-prostitution operation in Boracay Island.
Malay police chief Police Captain Jose Mark Anthony Gesulga said the six were charged for violating the Anti-Trafficking in Persons Act of 2003.
He identified the six pimps as (https://thedailyguardian.net/local-news/anti-prostitution-drive-6-pimps-nabbed-33-women-rescued-in-boracay/):
Richard Sausa, 42
Kevin Martin, 26
Mark Vincent Faulan, 23
Matias Male 23
Fernando Fajardo, 43
Rebecca Cainglet, 56
Karen Belonio, 22
The six allegedly pimped women to local and foreign tourists.
Gesulga said 33 girls were rescued during the operation. The girls were from Bacolod City, Negros Island, Mindoro, and Manila.
Malay police, Anti-Human Trafficking Task Force, Malay Municipal Social Welfare and Development Office, 2nd Aklan Provincial Mobile Force Company, and 605th Maritime Police Station took part in the raids.
Raided and shut down were four establishments in Boracay at around 10 p.m. of April 13.
Gesulga noted the establishments had been closed down before for alleged commercial sex trading activities, but went underground and posted pimps outside their establishments to call clients.
Investigation showed customers were brought to the establishment by habal-habal (motorcycle) and tricycle drivers, who get referral fees.
Local tourists pay P1,500 and up while foreign tourists pay at least P3,000.
Prostitution has been an emerging problem since Boracay reopened following a six-month environmental rehabilitation, Gesulga said.
“With the influx of tourists, we also noticed the commercial sex business has been thriving,” he said.