Drawing? Iloilo City LGU yet to start water rationing plan
Despite its numerous announcements on the matter, the Iloilo City government has yet to implement its plan to ration water to drought-affected barangays.
While the City Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office promised to start the water rationing last week, the General Services Offices said papers are not in order.
GSO head Joren Sartorio said that while documents for the water procurement were submitted to the Bids and Awards Committee on May 14, the papers still need clarification.
Sartorio cited the need to clarify the approved budget for the contract, which rests on the approval of the Metro Iloilo Water District (MIWD) board.
MIWD is expected to supply the city’s water needs upon the declaration of the state of calamity.
Last April 26, the Sangguniang Panlungsod declared a state of calamity in Iloilo City due to water crisis. The CDRRMO said the water crisis has affected at least 117,265 residents.
The city government will pay MIWD for the volume of water it will draw after entering into a memorandum of agreement.
Sartorio said they will undertake emergency procurement as recommended by MIWD as the end user.
If it fails, Sartorio said it is up to the city government and MIWD to decide on the issue.
CDRRMO head Donna Magno said the city will spend around P8.39 million for water rationing to affected barangays for 90 days if the cost is pegged at P23 per cubic meter.
But Sartorio said the MIWD is also waiting for the memorandum of agreement from the city government.