DPWH to install barriers in Antique’s ‘killer highway’
Following a bus accident that killed three people last April 5, the Department of Public Works and Highways is now in the process of installing barriers along Antique province’s notorious killer highway.
The DPWH said the barriers will be set up at a part of the national highway at Barangay Igbucagay in Hamtic town in Antique, the site of the accident.
Hamtic had also been the site of other fatal road accidents for years (https://thedailyguardian.net/local-news/black-spot-dpwh-to-install-barriers-in-antiques-killer-highway/).
DPWH-6 Assistant Regional Director Jose Al Fruto said the road is now a “black spot” because of frequent road accidents there.
Fruto said a DPWH team is set to assess the “killer highway” to identify the needed physical interventions.
“Our team will conduct an assessment together with the central office. We will look into the physical interventions that we can do,” he said.
He said that while safety features are already in place such as signage and check braces, they will examine the area if it needs expansion or redesigning.
Last April 5, a Ceres bus unit of Vallacar Transit, Inc. overshot the highway and fell into a ravine. Three passengers were killed while seven were injured.
Hamtic police chief Police Maj. Adolfo Pagharion said three accidents also occurred in the same area last year.