DOLE eases Boracay workers requirements
Workers displaced by the closure of Boracay Island to tourists may soon expect simpler requirements for aid from the Department of Labor and Employment.
DOLE Secretary Silvestre Bello III said thty are working to slash to “one to two” the number of requirements for the program, from the original four.
Bello said they may still require the ID and employment certificate, but do away with other requirements such as background check or marriage contract.
He said he will issue a department order to formalize the simplified requirements.
Initially, the Boracay Emergency Employment Program–Adjustment Measures Program (BEEP-AMP) had four requirements:
– application form
– photocopy of the certificate of employment
– photocopy of any government-issued identification
– proof of Land Bank of the Philippines account
Earlier, the DOLE failed to complete the registration of some 19,000 displaced workers to the program because of the complex requirements.
As of June 29, only 10,058 have applied for the program but only 6,721 were approved. Of the approved applications, only 2,527 were issued LBP cash cards.
So far, DOLE has paid 1,963 beneficiaries P9,529,633.
Meanwhile, Bello said the distribution of the assistance should be in cash instead of cash cards, as other beneficiaries do not have easy access to banks.
Under the BEEP-AMP, suspended and displaced workers will receive P4,205.50 monthly support for up to six months aside from employment facilitation and training.
Retained employees will receive a lump sum of P6,308.25 covering three months’ worth of assistance or P2,102.75 monthly.
Meanwhile, Bello urged the informal sector workers and indigenous Peoples affected by the closure to avail of the Tulong Panghanapbuhay sa Ating Disadvantaged/Displaced Workers (TUPAD) program.
It provides emergency employment in a form of community work for 30 days.