Comelec Iloilo reminds incumbent politikos vs using gov’t resources in campaigning
Now that the campaign period is heating up with the entry of local candidates into the picture, the Commission on Elections in Iloilo City reminded candidates against using government assets in their campaign.
Comelec Iloilo City Election Assistant Jonathan Sayno said this includes the use of government vehicles, sound systems, and even function rooms.
He said that upon receiving complaints against violators, they will first send a letter to the violator.
The campaign period for local posts started Friday and will last 45 days. Campaigning is prohibited on Maundy Thursday and Good Friday.
Sayno also reminded local candidates to follow campaign rules, particularly on campaign materials such as posters.
He said the Comelec, with the help of police and local authorities, had taken down thousands of illegal campaign posters of national candidates.
Sayno said campaign posters should not exceed more than 2 x 3 feet in size each with a complete label “paid for” and “paid by.”
Common poster areas in Iloilo City include:
* Plaza Libertad (facing J.M. Basa Street) in City Proper
* Plaza Villa (Rizal Street facing police station) in Arevalo
* Plaza Jaro (Rizal Street facing Andok’s Chicken) in Jaro
* Plaza La Paz (facing Huervana Street and police station) in La Paz
* Rizal Street, Barangay Lapuz Norte (in front of RoRo Terminal) in Lapuz
* Plaza Mandurriao (facing police station) in Mandurriao and
* Plaza Molo (Locsin Street facing Consing Mansion) in Molo.