Cebu Capitol to give cash, relocation site to Naga landslide victims – Davide
CEBU CITY — The Cebu Provincial Capitol will give a P1-million cash assistance to the landslide victims in the City of Naga, Governor Hilario Davide III said Monday.
The governor said the provincial government will also give P10,000 each to the bereaved families of those who perished in the massive landslide in Barangay Tinaan, Naga City on Thursday last week.
Aside from the cash donations, Davide said the Capitol is also considering donating some parts of the 24.9-hectare province-owned Balili property to the City of Naga to be used as relocation site for the evacuees from Barangay Tinaan.
Cebu province has earlier negotiated for the sale of the Balili property to the City of Naga, but Davide said they will not push through with the deal and will instead donate some parcels of the lot.
Davide, however, said the cash and lot donations will still be subject for approval by the Cebu Provincial Board.
As of 2:00 p.m. Monday, the number of fatalities has reached 51 after six more unidentified bodies were recovered in the morning, while 30 persons are injured and 45 people are still unaccounted for.
Naga Sangguniang Panglungsod secretary and Emergency Operations Center spokesperson Garry Cabotaje said 21 of the fatalities were laid to rest Monday afternoon.
Among those buried at the Naalad Cemetery were the seven members of the Campanilla family, who were trapped inside their home during the landslide.
The mother, 32-year-old Jeniessa Campanilla, was reportedly able to inform her relatives through Messenger that they were still alive Thursday, but rescuers found them a day late.
Interred together with Jeniessa were her 33-year-old husband Lemuel and their children Janine, 5, Jazwel Jave, 8, Jasmine Jade, 10, and twins Jemuel James and Jillian Jean, 12. (PNA)