visayas.politics.com.ph

Relocation of families still living in makeshift homes in Tacloban to start last week of November – Mayor Cristina Romualdez

0 126

The Tacloban city government, headed by Mayor Cristina Romualdez, is planning a massive relocation of “Yolanda” displaced families still living in makeshift houses in coastal communities

The lady politiko, on Monday, November 21, said the transfer to permanent homes will start last week of November.

Romualdez is hopeful the relocation will be completed by January 2017.

She added the target is to move at least 200 families every week from 19 coastal villages assessed by the city housing and community development office from downtown area to San Jose district near the airport.

There are at least 6,435 families from these priority areas, which account more than half of the 12,642 families in 35 villages up for transfer to safer grounds.

Since 2015, only more than 2,500 families have been moved to permanent homes in northern villages.

In the proposed mass relocation plan, 500 families will be relocated in each of the four batches and 374 families for 5th batch.

Government agencies work double time to provide potable water, electricity, livelihood, and classrooms for children near relocation sites.

“Everyone is working together to make sure that there is an increase in the number of occupied houses when President Rodrigo Duterte returns next month,” Romualdez said.

The Chief Executive was upset over slow pace of relocation for Yolanda-hit families when he visited the city to grace the 3rd year commemoration of powerful typhoon on November 8. Duterte promised to personally check relocation sites next month.