Choosy! Mayor Parojnog’s son willing to surrender if NBI handles his case
Fugitive Ricardo “Ardot” Parojinog has been sending feelers to have the cases filed against him handled by the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) instead of the Philippine National Police (PNP).
Speaking to newsmen Wednesday, PNP chief Director General Oscar Albayalde said the Ozamiz City councilor, who is one of the few remaining members of the Parojinog drug cartel, has sent a letter asking the NBI to take over the case against him.
Ardot was detained by Taiwanese police who had been asked by their Filipino counterparts to extradite him to face charges here.
“But as of this time, walang sagot naman yung PNP diyan (the PNP has yet to answer that). But until now, kami pa rin ang merong communication sa (we are the ones communicating with the) Taiwan police. And until now, hindi pa rin naman siya pwedeng bisitahin dahil nandon siya (he cannot be visited because he is still there),” Albayalde said.
“Wala kasi siya sa custody ng (He is not in the custody of the) Taiwan police, nasa custody siya ng prosecutor nila(he is in the custody of their prosecutor). That’s why yung sinabing (what is being said that) no visitors allowed, not even the Taiwan police are authorized to visit him,” he added.
The police said they will abide by the decision of the prosecutors handling the case on whether to allow the transfer of the case from the PNP to the NBI.
“(W)e will respect the decision of DOJ (Department of Justice),” Albayalde said. (PNA)