‘Cebu won!’ NEDA approves additional funding for BRT project
The future of the Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) looks bright for Cebu looks bright as the National Economic and Development Authority (NEDA) Investment Coordination Committee (ICC) Cabinet Committee approved the request for additional funding for the project.
The NEDA-ICC on Friday approved the additional budget on of P6.69 billion of the project on top of the P10.6 billion initial funding.
After the approval of the NEDA-ICC, the will now be forwarded to the NEDA Board which is chaired by President Rodrigo R. Duterte for his consideration.
“Not just a brighter future for Cebu’s BRT, a brighter future for Cebu,” Cebu City Mayor Tomas Osmeña said.
This development came in the heels of the decision of the Department of Transportation (DOTr) to put the BRT project on hold for further evaluation.
The NEDA also said earlier that they are also evaluating the Light Rail Transit (LRT) proposal of Presidential Adviser for the Visayas Michael Dino.
“I have no doubt in my mind that Mr. Dino will do everything he can to force the DOTr to stop implementing the program,” said Osmeña.
However, the mayor said that he is not worried at all, noting that the DOTr, being an implementing agency, has no choice but to implement the project.
“NEDA has spoken. Cebu won,” said Osmeña.