visayas.politics.com.ph

Antique not badly hit by ‘Ompong’: VG Denosta

0 3,741

Antique Vice Governor Edgar Denosta on Monday expressed relief that the province was not badly hit by Typhoon “Ompong” over the weekend.

Denosta said he was closely monitoring the situation and has yet to get a damage report from the Office of the Provincial Agriculture head Nicolasito Calawag and the Provincial Disaster Risk Reduction and Management officer Broderick Train.

“Last September 15, we were at Camp General Leandro Fullon with more than 300 Army reservists both commissioned and non-commissioned officers in line with our preparations for Typhoon Ompong,” he said in an interview.

He said he is just grateful that only a few families had been affected although the water level in the major rivers in the province also rose.

“As for our agricultural crops, there might be some palay that had been flooded but it might just be minor,” he said.

He added that despite the province being spared from Typhoon Ompong, the province remains to be under the state of calamity since August 9 due to flooding brought about by the southwest monsoon and enhanced by two previous tropical depressions. (PNA)